The Interagency Ecological Program (IEP) relies on a fleet of 37 research vessels to carry out its mission. Specifically, these vessels enable IEP to conduct cooperative and comprehensive long-term monitoring of aquatic resources in the San Francisco Estuary and the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta.
In 2018, the IEP Fleet Team was established to create a fleet management and resiliency plan to ensure that a reliable fleet is available to meet its compliance and project obligations. The plan and consequent IEP Fleet Team activities:
- assesses the state of the IEP fleet and operators
- documents current and future operation and infrastructure needs in carrying out IEP's missions
- identifies strategies/actions to achieve resiliency in the IEP fleet and vessel crews as well as safety in operations
- identifies and mitigates potential risks that could prevent IEP projects from completing their monthly surveys
- establishes minimum training guidelines, maintenance standards, and inspections necessary to support the successful operation of an IEP study project, and
- provides guidance and a fleet life schedule for upgrading, repairing, and planning the replacement of IEP vessels